Save the Planet, Save your Wallet
We’ve all been told about the importance of conserving water and that by doing so, we can save the planet. On the other hand, we can’t really survive without water (only 3-4 days). So, a strange feeling may show up when our dehumidifier’s water bucket is full and it’s time to empty it. Have you ever felt even just a little guilty to discard all of that water? Maybe you've felt like you’ve been throwing money away or that you’re hurting the planet. Well, now you can get rid of this feeling!
Although dehumidifier collected water can be used in certain ways, it's important to know that it's classified as gray water. Dehumidifiers collect everything they find in the air, so before you use this water please make sure that:
- You and your pets don’t drink it. Dehumidifier water isn’t safe to drink.
- Don’t pour it on anything that you’re going to eat (including edible plants).
- If there’s still mold around your space it’s better to wait until you improve your air quality to begin using it.
Having said this, here are 5 ways in which you can use this water, save the planet, and save your pocket:
2. Flushing the toilet: When it’s time to flush the toilet, just pour some dehumidifier water into the bowl (no the tank). This will save you a lot of money and you will help the environment. The Environmental Protection Agency states that 70% of water use is indoor, and of this, 27% is water used for flushing the toilet.
- 3.5 gallons (28 pints), 5 gallons (40 pints), or 7 gallons (56 pints) in every flush for older toilets
- 1.6 gallons (13 pints) per flush is the maximum according to the standard for new toilets
- 1.28 gallons (10 pints) per flush for efficient toilets
3. Cleaning the Floors: Every once in a while you can clean the floors with this water, but make sure that you mix it with cleaning products or soap to kill any microbes there may be around. You most certainly don’t want to throw any bacteria back into your environment.
4. Washing the Car: You can use it to wash your car every once in a while; but, be careful with the paint. As with the floors, please make sure that you mix the water with cleaning products or soap, to prevent spreading any bacteria around.
5. Ironing your Clothes: Steam it! You can also use dehumidifier collected water on your steam iron.
Using dehumidifier collected water is just one of the ways to conserve water, but every single step counts towards saving the planet. We also encourage you to spend less time in the shower, brush your teeth with the tap closed, and check for any water leaks around your house. Let’s save the planet together!
TOSOT Dehumidifier Review
"Love this 30 pint dehumidifier. It is so much quieter than my previous one. The water tank is easy to remove and replace. I’m 74 years old and live alone, so I’m the one who has to empty the tank. That’s why I chose the smaller tank. Much easier on my back. It does a great job for my 900 square foot condo.
Not sure how effective it would be in a larger space. I live in Ohio and we have been getting a lot of rain lately. I have been emptying the tank at least three times a day. The house feels so much cooler now." Mary Riopel, 30 Pint Dehumidifier Customer
If you still don’t own a dehumidifier and want to get one, you can click here to get yours now, or you can contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Use information at your own risk: The information presented is intended for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never disregard professional medical or home improvement advice. The information and suggestions should be discussed with a professional. You are responsible for independently verifying the information if you intend to rely upon or use it in any way. You use all information at your own risk.